Black. Lesbian. Sci-fi.

Now there's a combination I'd like to see more of.

I can't even think of any films that fit that criteria off-hand. Am I just completely clueless and ignorant...or is the presumed market for sci-fi still little white boys who want to see triple-nippled space boobies?



That's from Total Recall, if you were wondering.

The LGBT Center in Manhattan will be having an event on black lesbian sci-fi this Friday, March 18th, at 6:30pm. Unfortunately, since the event is from an outside group and not organized by the Center itself, there's no info posted on the Center website (www.gaycenter.org). However, it will undoubtedly be amazing. The Center is located at the corner of 7th Avenue and 13th Street, in Manhattan.

On a semi-related note, check out Brooklyn Boihood. They're all about increasing visibility for masculine-identified lesbians of color...and their calendar is pretty rad. I have a copy in my bedroom, so I can remember to forget all sorts of upcoming events. Autostraddle recently wrote up an article on how great Brooklyn Boihood is: Where the Bois Are.

In the meantime, I'll be seeing if the Performing Arts Library has Total Recall available for borrowing.

No comments:

Post a Comment